Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Polka Dots Are A Way To Infinity" Yayoi Kusama







Yayoi Kusama. Avant-garde artist, fashion designer, writer, woman and now beginning a collaboration with Marc Jacobs that will be in shop in July '12. Clothing, accessories, bags ... art and commerce as Marc did with Stephen Sprouse, Murakami, Richard Prince. 

Yayoi Kusama is not a young woman although her eagerness and condensed excitement and compulsion cannot be suppressed. Once as important as Andy Warhol, perhaps more so, she was forgotten by the art world when confined to a mental institution in '75 in Japan. A beautiful woman with lovers left behind .. perhaps Joseph Cornell and Donald Judd. Art that sometimes originates in her hallucinations. She stays near the institution even as her work is found again, shown in major retrospectives at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Walker Art Institute in Milwaukee, Tate Modern in London and the Whitney in New York. 

Her beautiful world. Her website is linked here. Infinity Net: The Autobiography of Yayoi Kusama is linked here.

"A polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colourful, senseless and unknowing.

 Polka-dots can't stay alone; like the communicative life of people, two or three polka-dots become movement.

Polka-dots are a way to infinity.

It was not so simple, not so easy to come up with this way of living that I've had. I was given a sad life by fate, but I think I won a happy life. 
 Not one day has passed when I didn't think of suicide, but I'm very glad to be alive now. 
Most people are so preoccupied with their illness, sickness, and they live a very ordinary life. 
I was so involved and so engrossed with painting, and knew from my childhood that it could help me to overcome unhappiness.
If it were not for art, I would have killed myself a long time ago."  


4 comments:

  1. wow, how cool is this.. I always admirer such creative minds! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a visionary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to see this post, I keep hoping to see more people blog about the collaboration *and* her incredible talents, you are one of the few to do so. That is a bonus, because your writing is so amazing. :)
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one for polka dots, but this is actually quite cool!

    ReplyDelete